Pages

Friday 7 September 2012

The Sun is trying to kill me...

Most people love the sunny weather and the warmth it provides. It makes the outdoors more palatable for them, it gives them a 'wonderful' tan, and it also makes everyone strangely happy.

I think I am missing out on the good points.

No-one else seems to be a massive ball of sweat burning to death like they're in the oven on Gas Mark 9. No-one else seems to feel a bit sick or anything. And no-one else seems to care that it's burning their faces off, instead all going with their friends and groups and chatting like they don't care about anything at all.

In this weather, I get dehydrated like I am a sponge and all of the water is being squeezed out of me. And this is during low-profile activities, like wandering around the college. Not lost; never lost. Just wandering around. And then I'm dead thirsty so I go to a water fountain (or a "wa'er foun'ain" as is said by the people around). And, inevitably, some always ends up going up my nose instead of into my mouth. I don't know if you have experienced this because I am not you, but it is a very uncomfortable feeling.

Going home is a challenge in itself, after all, you're climbing this steep thing that is known as the hill. But when the weather is oppressing you, making your skin leak hot sticky sweat, burning you up and giving you a familiar feeling that you usually associate with too much car - it's called feeling sick - it turns into a nightmare. You end up concentrating on getting to the next patch of shade, and seeing that shade is rare on the way, well, eeek. Do Not Like. DNL. [ooh, nice abbreviation, Minim.] And when you see that nobody else is having problems, you wonder if the Sun is going "Mwahahaha! I hate you, you weird person, so I'm going to make you suffer,"

And then, when you do get home, guess what now?

The stupid lock won't open because the heat makes it too stiff for your puny little claws to turn, even with that tip that you've been given before. So what do you do now?

You go down the road/hill, because that's where your sister Quaver lives and she might be in and then you can play with your nephew for a bit until Moth's home. And they may have "drrriiiiink" as well.

Only your sister is out, doing some college stuff or something like that.

You decide to return to the doorstep, well, Moth'll be back soon. You also decide to cross to the shady side of the road for a bit more shelter. This turns out to be a good thing, as you end up squatting on the pavement due to the morose heat. (Is morose used in the right context, or do I have to change it?) Only some frumpy woman in her car (and cars often have air conditioning) is frowning at you and you notice when your brain turns from 'smush and cobwebs and no use' mode to 'below average and wants good impression' mode. Embarrassment. Fortunately you're already red and can't go deeper, so you get up and pass her, while she looks disapprovingly at you. You could do the same, really, but you don't.

So you get back home and perch outside, intending to check if anyone was in, in a moment. Well, anyone basically means Moth. And, well, she wasn't in then. Cause when I stood up to check, I saw her coming down the road.

But heat is murderous and almost impossible to deal with. 'Nuff said.

4 comments:

  1. I do so agree Minim. I don't do sun, well at least I don't like to be out in it though I love it flooding through the windows (even though I then can't see the laptop screen properly)

    And in the Czech Republic where it gets really and truly hot, unlike here, I sit just inside the french windows, with them wide open, and the doors on the other side of the room wide open too so that there is a through draught.

    Czechs believe that draughts kill you by giving you instant pneumonia.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, that Czechs believe draughts give you instant pneumonia. The sun streams through the windows and into my eyes, so I hold the netbook up to stop it getting in. Fortunately the hedge usually stops this after a certain point, though. :)

      Delete
  2. I used to get hay fever when it was sunny and my arms were uncovered. It went away eventually. I prefer a hat with a wide brim and loose sleeved dresses went it is hot these days. Sunglasses or photochromic glasses and a bottle of water helps. An advantage of the bottle is yu can fill it at a fountain or a tap without the water going up your nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds an awkward hayfever!

      I'm not really sure about the glasses, really, although I know it's fair and works. Have to either get them to prescription like mine or wear them over my glasses (and I'm going to collect new stripey ones next week :D).

      Water bottle - good idea, but I'd forget it all of the time. :)

      Delete